Namaste from HemaVeda,
Ayurveda is a knowledge of longevity, health and healing, which originated in modern day India eight millennia ago. Through this platform of HemaVeda, I try to spread the awareness of this divine knowledge and wisdom. I am thankful to each one of you to appreciate my emails and giving it a try to incorporate Ayurvedic lifestyle in your day to day life.
This week onwards, we will learn the Ayurvedic perspectives of Dry fruits. Let’s learn the first dry fruit of the week ALMONDS.
There are basically two types of Almonds, one is a sweet almond and other is a bitter one. The sweet almonds are for human consumption. These Sweet Almonds are a good source of calcium and magnesium. With cholesterol lowering property Almonds have a rich source of anti-oxidant properties.
According to Ayurveda Almonds are known as Vatama which means Almonds can pacify the vitiated vata dosha.
Taste and qualities
- Almonds are sweet to taste
- They are heavy on digestion and have slimy property to them too
- Almonds are hot in potency
- They undergo sweet taste after digestion
- Almonds are good for the Vata dosha imbalance. They balance the Vata and Pitta dosha.
- Almonds are Kapha dosha provoking.
- Almonds work well in treating Vata dosha imbalances which cause Nerve pain and damage.
- They are good source of dietary fiber
- Almonds are aphrodisiac – increase in sexual vigor
- Almonds are beneficial for increasing power of memory
- Almonds are good for any kind of bleeding disorders like heavy menstrual periods or any external bleeding.
- Almonds are good for improving strength and muscle weakness.
Almond - healthy recipe
The best way to consume Almonds everyday is to soak them overnight in a room temperature water and in the morning peel them and consume them on an empty stomach. 4- 5 almonds are good enough for a day.
- 5-6 almonds soak overnight
- 2 teaspoons of Cow ghee
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- A pinch of cardamom powder
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- Peel the soaked almonds and grind them with some milk
- In a small pot, heat some ghee on a low flame and put the almond paste to it
- Add the sugar and the cardamom. Give everything a stir.
- Put the lid on and let it cook for 5 mins.
Enjoy the recipe early in the morning for better memory and maximum health benefits.