Immunity with Ayurveda – COVID 19
Namaste from HemaVeda,
I can understand everyone must be very anxious about their health given the pandemic of Corona Virus (Covid-19). I have been asked by many of my friends, family and clients for an advice on improving their immunity and safeguard their health in this critical time.
The first thing I would suggest is to remain calm and have faith that we are strong and can fight this virus.
Ayurveda considers both the physiological and psychological functions of a body when defining immunity. In fact, the therapeutic strategy in Ayurvedic medicines is to enhance the body’s overall natural resistance to the disease-causing agent rather than directly neutralizing the agent itself, focusing on healthy foods and a healthy mind to fight diseases.
- Start your day with warm water and a tablespoon of Chyavanprash – An herbal jam prepared with respiratory health supporting herbs that work wonderfully for improving the immunity.
- Nasya is an Ayurveda panchkarma (healing ritual) that involves adding a few drops of herbal oil in each nostril. Nasya protects and soothes the nasal passages to relieve any kind of sinus congestion. (A custom made herbal nasya oil is available with Hemaveda)
- Daily exercises help improve circulation and release accumulated vata (stress, inflammation). Exercises prove immensely beneficial to a healthy immune system.
- Pranayama – Breathing exercises like Nadi Shodhana(alternate nostril breathing), Bhastrika for 10 mins daily help regulate the energy flow, the prana and ojas
- Food – When it comes to eating healthy, the first thing to keep in mind is Prana or the life force in the foods we are consuming on a regular basis. Foods like freshly cooked vegetables, grains etc. have immense amount of prana compared to “dead foods” like canned vegetables, sauces, precooked noodle packages etc, these foods have a shelf life of more than 5 years and can sit on the counter for several months without any changes in their taste or constitution. Our diet should consist of fresh plants, vegetables, fruits etc. in accordance of your prakriti (unique individual constitution according to Ayurveda).
- Lunch as your biggest meal between 12-2pm
- Snacking on fresh fruits, nuts, seeds works wonderfully in providing healthy nutrition
- A healthy state of mind – Practicing mindful activities throughout the day, having a positive attitude is the key in keeping the mind healthy. Meditation, prayer, pranayama, yoga supports healthy sleep and calm mind.
- Sound sleep – Sound sleeping has always played a key role in promoting health and harmony in ones body. Consumption of warm milk of your choice boiled with a pinch of turmeric powder, brahmi, tulsi contributes to sound sleep and overall longevity
- Avoid excess Alcohol, caffeine, sugar, processed, canned foods
- Maintain your personal space in public places
- Namaste/Bow preferred over hugs and kisses
- Herbs like turmeric, tulsi, ashwangandha, shatavari, triphala for maintanence of health.
- Respecting your digestive fire by feeding it with freshly cooked vegetables, following the circadian rhythm, flushing out the accumulated body toxins by Ayurveda cleanses is a big step towards happy and healthy life. Regular use of spices which are good for your digestive health like Fennel, Cumin, Fenugreek seeds, Sesame seeds, Coriander seeds help keep the digestive fire strong
Stay calm and address one thing at a time. Anxiety and Panic can diminish your capacity to fight any kind of infection. We as individuals should respect the state of quarantine and take this responsibility towards our family, friends and our community.
“We are a strong community and we all will get through this soon.”
Please feel free to reach out to me for any guidance or questions you may have. I am always available for an online consultation and help if needed.