Turmeric, the yellow magical herb!
Namaste from HemaVeda
Ayurveda the science of life has its foundation built from thousands of years. Foundation build with Herbs, Spices, Food and Life balance. Following an Ayurvedic Lifestyle by making few changes in your eating habits, can make a huge difference in the Health and Wellness of an individual.
One of the most well known Indian herbs today is Turmeric. Turmeric is known as the “golden spice” due to its amazing benefits for our health. It was also regarded as the “herb of the Sun” by the people of the Vedic period. In the vedic culture Turmeric is used for more than seventy percent of ailments associated with human body!
Turmeric has at least 6000 years of documented history of its use as medicine and in many socio-religious practices. In the texts of Ayurveda Turmeric is well documented with its Sanskrit name “Haridra”. The medicinal properties of Turmeric are very well elucidated in the scripts of Ayurveda thousands of years ago.
Varieties of Turmeric
Qualities of Turmeric
Turmeric Tridosha balancing, it is hot in potency, pungent and bitter taste. It helps in the regulation of Kapha dosha, as well is Pitta balancing. Excess dosages of Turmeric may lead to Vata provocation leading to dryness in the body.
- Anti allergic – Several Ayurvedic combinations are made with Turmeric. For instance – Haridrakhanda is a herbal jam prepared primarily with Turmeric and few other Ayurveda herbs. This formulation is best for treating allergies, hives, skin diseases, Pitta disorders.
- Anti-inflammatory Action: Inflammatory changes of joints are often associated with rheumatic complaints. Turmeric is attributed with hot potency and anti-inflammatory action.
- Healing Property, Skin Care : Turmeric is said as Vranahara (ulcer healing), Varnya (improve complexion), Tvakdoshahara (cure skin diseases), and Kandoohara (cure itching). Sandal paste for gaining a golden glow to their skin, Turmeric helps to remove hairs and impart color and improve complexion of skin. It is extensively described for its wound healing effect and to brighten the gleam and tone of the skin.
- Turmeric powder, sandal paste is not only beneficial for gaining a golden glow to the skin, but it also helps to reduce the amount of facial hair growth in women!
- Antidiabetic Property: From the Samhita period itself (ca. 4000 yrs), turmeric was famous for its antidiabetic property.
- Anthelmintic Property: Turmeric if given with jaggery proves beneficial for worm infestation in both children and adults
- Turmeric in Respiratory Diseases: Turmeric is well accepted as a Kaphahara drug. Excess accumulation of Kapha leads to cough, congestion leading to respiratory illness. Turmeric works wonders in the upper respiratory infections.
In addition to all the other benefits mentioned above, when consumed Turmeric (water, Turmeric Tea, Golden Milk, juice) every day, it detoxifies and cleanses blood and other bodily organs.
I am happy to share my all time favorite recipe of Turmeric Milk
Turmeric latte with spices
1- a cup of whole milk or milk of your choice
2- a teaspoon of turmeric powder
3- 1/4 th teaspoon of cardamom powder
4- a tablespoon of honey
5- a pinch of cinnamon powder
Boil the milk on a low flame and add the turmeric, cardamom and cinnamon powder to it. Boil for another 5 mins and pour in a cup. Once warm add the honey and consume it before bedtime.
This can consume this milk 3-4 times a week, especially in winters.